The last time that I made divinity (a few years ago) I brought some to my in-laws’ house and, as I recall, my father-in-law really liked it. This year the in-laws will be coming to our little apartment for Christmas, so I thought I would make him some divinity. I know, it is not the easiest Christmas candy to make, but my mother and I made it almost every year while I was still living at home. I found a good recipe, read the reviews and all the hints, and set out on my first divinity adventure all on my own.
I dragged the dehumidifier out into the middle of the kitchen, turned on the celling fan (after dusting it thoroughly), set EVERYTHING out that I would need, and had all the bases covered. I even had both my phones close so that I could call mom at any sign of trouble (I did call her about 8 times). So, things were going well. The egg whites weren’t too difficult, except that my mixer bowl is broken, so I just used the largest glass mixing bowl that I had and then used a spatula to get the edges that the mixer couldn’t reach. I should also mention that the bowl is a little unstable on the mixer’s base.
I don’t have a candy thermometer, but we never used one back home, so I thought I could handle the hard ball test (I called my mom every time I dropped any into the water). When it FINALLY passed the test I started to pour it into the bowl with the egg whites. The mixer was on, I had one hand on the pan pouring, one hand with a spatula making sure that the mixer wasn’t missing anything, and I was balancing the bowl on the mixer with my tummy (yes, it’s big enough). Half way through that procedure, I realized that my largest glass bowl is too small, so I tossed aside the pan (half full of HOT sugar), grabbed my big blue (plastic) popcorn bowl, and attempted to quickly get everything into that. After I got all of both mixtures into the big blue bowl, it occurred to me that I just finished pouring a 270 degree sugar mixture into a PLASTIC popcorn bowl. Plastic doesn’t give off any toxic fumes when it is melting, does it?!
At this point, you are supposed to beat until the divinity “holds its shape”. I mixed and mixed and mixed, and the mixer started smelling a little hot, so I tried to plop a little down on the wax paper. The divinity was still flat like a pancake, so I called mom (about the 10th time by now) but she forgot her phone and was down at the church. So I called the church. I am not sure who answered, but I told them I needed my mom cause I was having a cooking emergency! In the mean time, mom went back home for the phone, and called. She said to keep beating, so I did. It didn’t get much thicker, but I trusted my mom, so I kept beating. That is, until that “hot” smell turned into smoke- that is when I decided it was done.
I am all about not waisting anything, so I still plopped all of it out on wax paper. It looks like I have a bunch of ranch dressing poured out in little one serving patches all over my counter. Maybe I should add some carrots and broccoli; it would at least look purposeful that way.
They do taste good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow! At least you tried. Did you serve them to your father-in-law since they still tasted good?
ReplyDeleteno. I did get them into a tin with layers of wax paper while they were still semi-solid. They ended up being one large clump of sugar and wax paper.
ReplyDelete